Thursday, April 28, 2011

Date Night= 5 restaurants, a screamer and a breakup...

Last night, after my boot camp class, Cory and I were out running around and at about 8pm the hunger hit. Hard. I got kind of light headed and needed food ASAP. So, I politely told Cory (ha) that I needed to eat. His response?

 "OH GOD! OKAY... WHERE DO YOU WANT TO GO?!!? WHAT'S THE CLOSEST!?"

Just a little FYI about me.. I'm kind of weird. See, when I get hungry...I get "hangry." Really. Ask my husband.... ok, maybe you shouldn't. You probably wouldn't read my blog anymore.

So, I'm a pretty extremely picky out-to-eater. I don't like fast food (with the exception of Chic-Fil-A...char grilled chicken sandwich mmm) and I'm really picky with other restaurants. I know that most places pack in the calories in seemingly healthy dishes. For example, McCallister's Grilled Chicken Salad has nearly 900 calories. [WHERE do they come from?! Are they frying their lettuce??]

The decision of where to eat usually comes from places I trust are healthy (and know what to order) or places that post nutrition information and I have time to look it up. BUT, when I'm starving all that planning goes out the door and I get frustrated with thinking and just want food.

I suggest Peppers, a deli-like restaurant (that posts nutrition online, per my handy iPhone) that neither of us have been to that was just down the street. We drive there, see that's it's packed and decide to try somewhere else. So Cory suggests going back to Nishi G's... I know they have whole wheat wraps and plain grilled chicken. Bingo.

We drive about 10 mins...again P.A.C.K.E.D. I'm talking no where to park. Another no-go. I knew of another deli down the street, Penn Station, that I heard was good. I figured I could order a  turkey sub on whole wheat and just get on with life.

So, Cory (who is keeping his anger/frustration with me hidden inside) and I go in. I ask for turkey on wheat and the cashier stops me in my hungry tracks. "Umm... we only have WHITE." With a disgusting attitude and the dirtiest look she could produce.

Remember that thing I said about being "hangy?" Well, I blame that... I gave her an even dirtier look, told her we'd be eating somewhere else and walked out. I don't know if Cory apologized for me, but I wasn't waiting around to see (the joys of marriage).

We were back to square one. Cory then suggested "Little Caesar's! Kris, it's $5 for a large pizza (!!!!) " By this point, I'm feelin bad for my poor husband and am contemplating eating my hand. So when he says pizza, I think back to a place near our apartment, called "Stone Pizza." I know they have fresh ingredients and you can personalize your pizza, so I suggest it. Cory's thrilled... thinking we're finally gonna eat! We pull into the parking lot, practically run to the door.

Closed.

The food gods were obviously against us.

 Just as we were about to give up on life and starve to death, we see it. Those beautiful glowing yellow neon lights. Charanda's.

We didn't need to ask each other, a look settled it. That's where we were going. We got a table and literally plunged into the chips. Ahhhh, so this is what Heaven feels like. We quickly ordered- Veggie Fajitas on corn tortillas for me, and Beef Tacos for my hot boyfriend. We were in such a rush to order that we didn't notice our surroundings until we'd eaten a basket of chips and had 2 refills of diet coke. On one side of our booth was (the most adorable) baby boy... screaming his head off. He wasn't crying. He was literally SCREAMING. And the more me and Cory laughed, the louder he got. His parents just loved that he was entertaining us.

On the other side, was a couple breaking up. It was immensely awkward to overhear. Apparently, he cheated on her and was denying it, telling her she needed to "filter this shit." It took some will power (and threats from Cory) to not turn around and tell him what a d-bag he was.

Oh, and did I mention we were sitting outside with 70mph winds? It was romantic.

Despite our surroundings, we got our food, wolfed it down much too quickly and rolled each other out of there. Luckily we just had a 30 second drive to our apartment where we promptly planted our beyond-full selves on the couch to catch up on The Voice.

All in all, it was a perfect romantic night. Ha, hardly. C'est la vie!


1 comment:

  1. This made me laugh out loud! You are a good writer, I was on the edge of my seat wondering where you guys would eat!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...