Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Heaven on Earth

Hey guys! Just catching you up on the past week. In case you missed it, Part I with details on my BFF's wedding was covered yesterday.

After leaving a rainy and stormy Asheville on Sunday, Cory and I headed back to The Thrill to make a quick pit stop to see sweet Reagan. After spending some time "awwwing" over the wittle baby, we dropped off our wedding clothes at our apartment, grabbed lunch and trekked on to our little piece of Heaven on Earth- Oak Island, NC.






Many many years ago, my Grandaddy and his best friend drew up house plans depicting everything they dreamed of for a beach home. Shortly after Grandaddy passed away, the plans were put into action.
 "Grandpa's Vision" was born.





This home is more than just a location for our entire family to get together each summer, it's become a memory- a place we can remember and feel close to Grandaddy, knowing this was truly his "vision" of perfection, a place we make new memories, and reminisce on the old days at Gran and Grandaddy's home in High Point, a place where cousins get closer each year, a place I once introduced Cory to the family for the first time, and a place of simplicity, family, and calmness. Of course, we've definitely had our fair share of drama throughout the years, but those are the memories that make us laugh today.



This is the one week of every year that I simply cannot wait for. One week a year of pure happiness, a true "vacation." This year was no different. Cory and I arrived around 7pm on Sunday night and were promptly met with a glass of White Russians (have a mentioned my family loves a good time?) After eating a fabulously prepared meal, the cousins all played a few games of Apples to Apples while the guys watched baseball and drank beer. First night success.



After a very unstable workout schedule the week before, I woke up Monday ready to run. Naturally, my body woke me up around 7am and I hit the beach for a 5 mile run. There's just something peaceful about a morning run at Oak Island. You don't need music, the waves are plenty; and there's not another soul on the beach. Oak Island is a very secluded beach with only one small area for public entry- my idea of a beach!




The majority of the week followed the same schedule- wake up, run, eat breakfast, lay on the beach, lunch, lay on the beach more, shower, cocktail hour, dinner, lay around, go to sleep. Exactly my idea of vacation. :)






While basking in the sun, I read the book The Help by Kathryn Stockett. I really loved it and recommend it to anyone looking for a good summer book. The movie comes out Aug. 12th!!




Of course, Cory and my brother-in-law, Tony, played their annual golf game- except this year I got a hilarious phone call from Cory- needing a ride home. They had a little too much fun golfing, many stories ensued...including Cory leaving his poor phone on the golf cart over night....





Thursday night, we all drove to Wilmington, where Gran lives. I haven't been able to see my grandmother since November (!!!) and I was very excited to make the short trip to see her. Gran moved to Wilmington a few years ago, where my aunt and uncle live, so they could be close to her. Gran was diagnosed with Alzheimer's and currently lives in a retirement community. For the most part, she does really well and her hilarious, witty personality still shines through, regularly. We picked up Gran and went to dinner at Blue Water Grill, a water front restaurant. It was absolutely beautiful! Our party of 16 was given an upstairs table overlooking the water.




For dinner, I got the Island Style Grilled Mahi Mahi that was great! It was served with citrus vinaigrette and mango salsa + beans, rice and veggies. The whole table also split a dessert sampler, that was obviously amazing!



Me and Gran


The whole Knox Family



The cousins

Friday night, sadly our last night at OKI, Jennifer (aka our professional chef, seriously) cooked us a fabulous dinner. She was taking cooking a little too seriously though, so me and Mel decided she needed to loosen things up...

ICED!!! :)

This was her first experience being Iced...so naturally we needed to break her in good and gave her a hot Melon flavored Smirnoff Ice...yummy.

Cory and I got up early on Saturday, cleaned our part of the house and headed home. It was a sad, sad day. We arrived home around noon and immediately headed to see Reagan. We spent the rest of the day hanging around the house and watching movies- vacation will wear you out! ;)

I'm already counting down til next year's trip... it'll be our "Ten Year Vacation Anniversary." It's gonna be a good one! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...