Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Guilty as Charged

As you might have noticed, I've been a little MIA on the blogging front lately, but I swear I have a perfectly reasonable explanation. Friday night, the hubs and I went frolicking around Charlotte looking at rental homes and were in the car for over 2 hours. I wasn't feeling like myself and was more "fussy" (as Cory calls it) than normal. I figured it was just because I hate being in the car so long and because I was tired from the week + abnormal amounts of traffic were pissing me off. But, we got home, enjoyed a couple much needed Coronas and I still wasn't feeling great. I woke up Saturday morning for my 8 mile run feeling kind of stuffy and congested, but chalked it up to the foggy mess outside.



My run was less than par and it just felt hard even though our pace was about average. Afterwards I went to a meeting for JWL (more on that later) and was wiped out. I went home and died napped, figuring I just needed rest. When I woke up to Cory coming home from work, I felt like I'd been slapped in the face and then run over twice by a train. I rested and felt progressively worse on Sunday. With my race being one week away I took vitamins, ate oranges and slept all day at Mom's (it was the least I could do on Mother's Day...get some TLC from Mom, right?). Yesterday when I woke up I knew something had to be done... I went to the doctor around lunch and (dun, dun, dunnnn) I have Strep.

(I could take a picture of my throat... but you'd probably have repeated nightmares, need counseling, and, needless to say, would never return to my blog again)

Perfect.

I haven't been sick since Christmas 2009 and now the week before my Half (that I've been training for since February!!!) my body decides to go on strike. I got put on two prescriptions that will hopefully kill this dang thing so I will be a sick-free little runner on Sunday. *Fingers Crossed*

While I was sitting my butt on the couch yesterday playing with my new iPhone app iAugment, (hey a girl can dream, right?) watching reruns of The Hills on the TV Guide Channel (I really don't mean to watch this channel, but it always happens. And yes... Cory and I are too cheap and old schooled to buy the cable box + remote with a "Guide" button...) and I started feeling guilt for not running like planned. Here I am, sick as a dog, coughing up my lungs, and I'm worried about not running... what the hell is wrong with me? Shouldn't I be basking in sickness, letting it be my excuse to watch trashy TV all afternoon? Instead, I'm fretting over my endurance, pace and automatic "weight gain" that would happen after missing one workout. Of course, this all ended when I told it to the hubs who put my crazy mind in it's place, per usual. "He wouldn't let me run if it was my dying wish." ha, paahhhlease ;)




Anyway, I think everyone deals with some sort of Exercise Guilt at some time or another- Whether it's missing a planned workout, not working out as hard as planned, or having to explain to your tennis shoes why you haven't given them any attention in 3 years. I think, to some extent, guilt is normal. Sometimes, it's even helpful- as in "I better go run or I know I'll feel guilty tonight." or "I just ate 4 pieces of cake, if I don't go work up a sweat, I'll feel guilty." Other times, you just need to give yourself a break. Please keep in mind that I am not an expert, doctor or health professional and all opinions are merely that, opinions.

Even still, getting rid of exercise guilt isn't always easy. It helps to ask yourself a few things:

1. What's the worst that can happen?
  • Weight gain
    • It takes an excess of ~3,500 calories to gain one pound. So, unless you plan to sit on your butt and stuff your face with 80,000 cookies, skipping one gym sesh won't make you instantly gain 5 lbs.
  • You'll get used to taking too many "rest days" and get off track 
    • For some, taking a couple extra rest days could mean that you're more likely to fall off the exercise wagon if you stop sticking to your routine. But recognizing this instead of feeling guilty, will significantly aid in sticking to your schedule in the future. Try looking at the bigger picture- what activities have you done this month or this week? Instead of what have you done today. 
  • You'll die
    • kidding.
2.What can I do about it?
  • Having a plan of action is very likely to decrease feelings of guilt. BUT, don't make it an excuse or use it too frequently (ie I can the entire Little Debbie Factory because I'm planning to workout tomorrow--or start working out next week). If you missed a workout, make an extra effort to add in a little unplanned activity- like taking the dog on a short walk, or taking the stairs, or just plan on picking up where you left off tomorrow. Life should be our priority. Sometimes family members, friends, our job (or a sickness) require our time and attention more than the gym. And ya know what? That first workout after missing is gonna feel like a $1,000,000.
  • If you're a beginner or are on an exercise hiatus, the simplest way to start? Make a plan! It seems much less intimidating if you have a plan. Schedule like you would a hair appointment, and just go for it!

3.  Is this really helping me?
  • Is feeling bad doing anything for you? Once you make a plan of action (like getting back to your schedule tomorrow) then what's the point of wasting time feeling guilty? Your body knows when it’s had too much, so listen to it. If the thought of running for five minutes or doing one set of bicep curls mentally exhausts you, that may be your body telling you it’s time for a break.

I hope these questions help, they definitely helped me put into perspective the "guilt" I was experiencing and have dealt with in the past. I'd post my recent eats, but I doubt you'd like picture after picture of soup and cough drops, right?

Please pray for my health! :)

2 comments:

  1. I married the most determined and passionate individual I have ever met in my entire life. In my opinion your a tremendous athlete/runner but an even better wife. I love you
    p.s. I've got my cowbell ready for the weekend! Let's do it!

    I love you very much

    ReplyDelete
  2. all fitness freaks go through those feelings of guilt when missing our workouts. My husband keeps me on track too. Otherwise I workout even when I know I shouldn't and then it ends up worst.

    You'll do great... just look at it as the strep is your body's way of making you tapper down a bit.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...