Monday, October 24, 2011

I don't go looking for hills, but when I come to one, I run it.

Happy Monday!! Hope your week has started off great!

Remember when I said last week that I was just going to run this weekend's Rocktoberfest Half for fun and not for time? I should know myself better than that.



When the gun went off at a blustery (read, freezing) 7:40am start time, I took off hoping to bring home a new PR. The first few miles were scary, which is normal for me. At that point, I can't quite get a "feel" for the race and there are a lot of uncertainties, insecurities and questions.

What if I can't keep up with my friends?
What if I get hurt along the way?
How will I feel?
What if something unexpected happens?
What if I can't do this????

Those brain demons tried to work their magic on my confidence, but by mile 4, we parted ways and I told them to kiss it. I think I had a smile on my face from that point until I crossed the finish line. I waved to spectators, high-fived little kids, thanked all the officers and volunteers and really tried to take in the beautiful Charlotte scenery.



When the race started, it was around 40 degrees. I wore my Nike Tempos, a short sleeve DriFit tee, and a long sleeve tee over top with cheap gloves that I threw away around mile 3. I also wore my Nathan hydration belt, which I wish I could propose marriage to...once you go Nathan, you don't go back. (...sorry for that lame attempt to be funny, it's Monday). Having the availability of water at all times is not only a confidence booster but also gave me the freedom to take water when I needed it, and not waiting for a water stop. I took a Vanilla Gu at mile 6, one Chomp at mile 10 and one Chomp at mile 12... Did I mention the last 4 miles of this race were UPhill?? It was gruesome. I was banking on those being my fastest, which was not the case.

In fact, the entire race was massively hilly. I think I ran less than one combined total mile of flat road... which may be the reason I cannot walk today. I took another ice bath last night and have been stretching/rolling my legs but they are still in pain.

The race ended up being a little long (13.22 instead of 13.1) and that extra .12 added about a minute to my time (bummer...) but overall I am very happy with how I did! According to my Garmin, I finished in 2:05:21, which is a PR of 38 seconds. I'll take it, given I have done no speed training and was planning on an easy day!

Just finished! :) Everyone did GREAT! Pat (beside me on the end) even got 2nd place in her age group!!

Plus I got a sweet new medal to add to my collection and a third Half under my belt. 3 Halfs ( or it is halves??) so far this year! woo hoooo! Can't wait to bring home the big medal in 3 weeks!!!! (ho-ly shit.)

 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...