Thursday, September 8, 2011

Why?

Pushing through week 6 of Marathon Training. Keeping my head high when runs don't go so great, and feeling like $1,000,000 when they do.

Yesterday while I was running, I started thinking about why I run. A common question I've been getting lately. Most people think I'm crazy for running- "it's bad for your knees, it's dangerous, it's too hot outside, you'll hurt yourself, it takes too much of your time, it's not worth it..."

So, why do I run? Do I do it just for the exercise? No. An hour on the elliptical would be a hell of a lot easier. The more I thought about it, the more I realized that it's the challenge I face during each run, the feeling of doing something hard, and really pushing myself, and sense of accomplishment after that keeps me coming back. I have never, ever regretted a run.  Sure, I've had bad runs- what runner hasn't? But those bad runs don't stop me from the overwhelming appreciation I feel after every single run- no matter how long or short. Plus, bad runs give me the power to recognize, and appreciate the good runs.

Running is emotional. It gives me time to think, to appreciate my life, my family, nature. To thank God for the ability to run. And to take time, after a hectic day, to appreciate just being alive.

Training for the marathon hasn't just given me strength in my stride and cardiovascular endurance. It's opened my eyes to my soul. I am learning things about myself that I couldn't have learned otherwise. I know exactly when and how my brain will try it's best to convince me to stop. I know how to break down those voices with a single thought or quote or vision. I know that pushing through 10 more minutes instead of stopping gives me more confidence and more appreciation than anything I've ever felt.

And I've still got a long way to go. 14 miles this weekend; surpassing my personal longest distance of 13.1. Am I scared? Hell yes. I'm in uncharted water after tomorrow. But that's the thrill of the game....






















No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...