Friday, August 5, 2011

Running Around

Well the first week is just about complete! I have a 3-mile easy run today that will officially conclude Week Uno of Marathon Training! With 99 days left til the Big Day, I'm still feeling pretty nervous, but know that with that many days left, I have plenty of time to train hard to be prepared.

This week, my running group offered a Running Form Clinic that was extremely helpful! We had a Sport Chiropractor and a rep from TrySports come in to speak. They were both very insightful and made me realize how much I don't know about the bio mechanics of running!

I know I'll be referencing my notes throughout the next 99 days of training, so what better way to keep track than to add it to the ole blog? ...and I think some of you may find this helpful as well!

**Disclosure: I am not a doctor or a certified trainer. The comments below are simply my own knowledge, opinions and information I took and interpreted from the clinic.**

They first went over proper running form. Now, I know there is a plethora of form techniques out there, and this isn't meant to be the "end all and be all" of running form, but more of the natural, best-for-your-bod way:
1. Hips. Think of your hips or pelvic area as a bucket of water. If your hips (or the bucket) tilt forward, some water spills out (energy). If your hips tilt backward- same thing. Aim to keep your hips straight and even, so as to not let any of the water spill out. The more naturally-aligned your hips stay, the less energy you use...and who doesn't wanna make running easier?!


2. Chest. While keeping your hips in line, also think about pulling your chest up and your stomach down, as if your body is on a string- you want everything to be in alignment with your spine. While sprint athletes are taught to lead forward into their strides, endurance athletes should maintain a neutral spine while running- which, like the first point, reduces wasted energy.

3. Head to the horizon. When I run, a lot of times I notice that I'm looking down at the ground- especially in places where the ground may be uneven. While this is sometimes necessary- especially if trail running, try to maintain a gaze towards the horizon- up and out; as neutral as possible. Want to know why this is so important? (and this was a real shocker for me)... you lose 20% lung capacity by looking down. umm...what! No wonder I've been gasping for air like a dying chicken.

4. Arms. Next time you run, pay attention to the way you swing your arms. If you're crossing your arms across your body as you swing, you guessed it- wasted energy. Your arms should make a 90 degree angle and swing lightly back and forth. For hills or sprints, quickening your arm swings can help propel you up and forward.

5. Gait. This is a big one that has a lot of parts to it; so generally speaking: when you take off, you should be pushing directly off of your big toe. As your foot lifts off the ground, your leg should form a 90 degree angle behind you, and then as you bring your leg forward, land in the middle of your foot. (Again- this is for endurance athletes) You should absolutely not land on the heel or toe!! Landing on the heel causes lower back pain and landing on the toe hurts the knees. The reason for landing in the middle, is so that the arch of the foot absorbs the pressure of landing and "bounces" back giving you the lift you need for the next stride. Also, when your foot strikes, your hips should be directly over top of your foot- not in front of or behind.
Last night during my 5 mile run (I did Friday's workout since I had more time than I will today) I really tried to focus on each of these, which really made my run go by quickly! My overall run felt easier and more controlled and I kinda felt like a science experiment..which was cool! :)

The next thing the guys at the Form Clinic talked about was "i word" that I don't like to think about.
Injury.
Although this information was very helpful, I hope that with the preventative techniques they shared, I won't need much of these tips! Knock on wood!

**Generally speaking- when in doubt: ICE! Do not heat! Heat causes the muscle to expand and swell- making for an extended healing time. Also, if an area is inflamed (sore), roll with The Stick upwards, toward your heart. Your blood flow will help dissipate the swelling and help you heal quicker! **


The top 3 running injuries: Prevention and Treatment
1. Plantar Fasciitis:
Plantar fasciitis is inflammation of the thick tissue on the bottom of the foot. This tissue is called the plantar fascia. It connects the heel bone to the toes and creates the arch of the foot.
The most common complaint is pain and stiffness in the bottom of the heel. The heel pain may be dull or sharp. The bottom of the foot may also ache or burn.

The pain is usually worse:
  • In the morning when you take your first steps
  • After standing or sitting for a while
  • When climbing stairs
  • After intense activity
    link
The best methods for preventing this, is stretching your arches/foot after running.
This can be done by rolling your arches on The Stick, or by putting a resistance band around the ball of your foot and pulling back.

Treatment: First off, you probably need to see a podiatrist to confirm that you don't have a stress fracture in your foot. Then, implement RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevate)


2. Shin Splints
Refers to pain along or just behind the tibia (shinbone), the large bone in the front of the lower leg. Shin splints occur during physical activity and result from too much force on the shinbone and connective tissue attaching muscles to it.  Ten to fifteen percent of running injuries are shin splints.
 Link

Woooo...shin splints. I hate you. I've had my run-ins (ha) with shin splints and let me tell you.. they're not fun. Since the clinic, I've already been working on the prevention exercises so I don't get them this go-round!
The guys at the clinic said that the worst thing you can do for shin splints is to run through them. At the very first on sight of pain- TREAT IT. Ice ice baby! Also, stretch the calf, foot, and shin as much as you possibly can.

Prevention/treatment exercise: Get into a wall-sit with your lower back pressed again a wall, and in a seated position (take shoes off). Pull toes off the ground and hold them as high as you can for 30 seconds. Slowly lower your toes slowly to the ground, then right before they touch, pull them back up. Repeat this 3-4 times.

(Not a joke...my shins are hurting right now. Hello, my name is Kristin and I'm a hypochondriac)


3. ITBS Iliotibial band syndrome
ITBS is one of the leading causes of lateral knee pain in runners. The iliotibial band is a superficial thickening of tissue on the outside of the thigh, extending from the outside of the pelvis, over the hip and knee, and inserting just below the knee. The band is crucial to stabilizing the knee during running, moving from behind the femur to the front while walking. The continual rubbing of the band over the lateral femoral epicondyle,  combined with the repeated flexion and extension of the knee during running may cause the area to become inflamed



ITBS symptoms range from a stinging sensation just above the knee to swelling or thickening of the tissue at the point where the band moves over the femur. The pain may not occur immediately during activity, but may intensify over time, especially as the foot strikes the ground. Pain might persist after activity. Pain may also be present below the knee, where the ITB actually attaches to the tibia.
Link 

The best thing for ITBS is ice and stretching. I've not had experience with this injury before so I don't know too much about it, other than what I've heard and read. A great exercise for this is laying leg raises- laying on your side, keeping your leg in line with your hip as you raise and lower.


I really hope this helps some of you. If you have any questions at all, please ask and I would be happy to give my opinion. Happy Running and have a great weekend!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...