Friday, July 29, 2011

Remember When

YEAR ONE

Wow. Crazy to believe that Cory and I are moving out of our very first place together today. It's funny how the days go by so slow, sometimes monotonous, but the weeks go by quicker, the months even quicker and a year? When did that even happen?

It's a very bittersweet feeling to be leaving our first place- or as we liked to call it, our "room." -Not quite worthy of the term 'apartment' due to it's immaculate ability to make us feel like we were crammed into a closet and wrapped in cellophane. It wasn't all bad though, Cory and I are very much people, people... meaning, even if we had a 15 bedroom house, chances are, we'd still be sitting right next to each other 98% of the time with Anney snuggled between us.

One of the reasons I love blogging is because I can constantly update my scrapbook of life- people, stories, pictures, websites- things I would never have time or patience to create in real life, are immediately formed in a matter of seconds.

So, in an effort to remember our first year, a few stories to go back to....

Cory and I had our first "post marriage war" one night. God knows what it was about. In an effort to piss me off, Cory grabbed one of my beloved bananas off the counter, squeezed it between his fist and gauged my reaction. In an effort to get back, I grabbed his lunch off the counter (for him to take to work the next day) and threw his newly made pbj at him. The anger war quickly transformed into a full blown food fight that was incredibly hilarious. We still have peanut butter, jelly, and banana remnants around the apartment. We intend to leave a little for the new tenants as a gift from us. I'm sure they'll welcome it with open arms.

I have 2 pets that Cory adopted when we got married. He still calls them "mine" and frequently lets me know they aren't "his" (ahem, like when Anney's gotta go out). Anyway, for his bday, he was bound and determined to get a pet of his own. Insert a 10 gal fish tank- filled complete with 5 fish, 2 snails and a pirate ship- that smelled god awful and was planted right at the kitchen sink, to make cooking a joyous experience. Well, a week later, we had 2 fish left. Want to know how long those dang things lived? They died a month ago.... they musta known mama bear wouldn't be taking the tank with her to the new place...Cory's first pet(s)? Fail. BUT, we're working him up to a dog of his very own.

One night, probably around midnight on a weekday, Cory and I were sound asleep when the door bell rang. No one EVER rings our door bell. I freak out, swearing it's a killer (...that rings a doorbell) and make Cory go see. He looks out the peep hole, runs back to me and says it's a pregnant woman standing at our door.  He sneaks back a few minutes later and she had vanished. I was so creeped out and confused and slept horribly. The next morning, I couldn't find my keys anywhere and I was freaking out, late for work. I open the door to go look in my car for them, and there they are, still in the keyhole on the outside of the door. Turns out? It wasn't a mass murderer or a preggo...it was our friendly neighbor offering some public service.

I like to pretend sometimes that I'm a cook- one of those that can just whip up some delicious homemade food- no recipe needed. I was in the mood for some homemade cookies one night and decided to surprise Cory with a treat when he got off work. So I threw together a conglomeration of ingredients I had on hand, just knowing they would turn out delicious. A smoke-filled, fire alarm ringing apartment later, my concoction was finished. Cory will laugh on the spot at the mention of my "pancake cookies." He said he had to pretend he left something in his truck so he could go outside to bust out laughing, so I wouldn't see. He also told me (months later) that he threw away my creation the entire following week when I packed them in his lunch.

Going waaay back to when we first moved in- it was the Thursday before our wedding. I wanted my engagement ring to sparkle on the Big Day and was in our bathroom cleaning it. Well, the dang cleaner made the ring slippery and just.like.that. it was out of my hands and on the floor. I immediately grabbed it up and noticed something looked...different. Yep, a tiny side-stone, the size of a pencil tip, popped out. I hit the floor- I'm sobbing, screaming for Cory, swearing that we couldn't get married because my ring was ruined (drama queen). After a few minutes of my histericalness, Cory pushed me out of the bathroom so he could get down to business looking (I think I was distracting). I ran outside bawling on the phone to Mom. Cory searched for about 10 minutes- nothing. He sat back on his heels, prayed to God, asking to please let him find the diamond. He put his hand down on the ground, felt something on his finger- and whaddayaknow? God was on our side. The diamond was stuck onto his finger. Hallelujah.


One night, Cory was trying to be a stud (he really just likes the shock factor) by coming out of the bathroom dancing butt naked to see my reaction... my reaction? "Cory, you have a giant red ring around your ass." Apparently, he'd been sitting too long...

I was dead asleep in the middle of the night when Cory jumped out of bed, lifted the blinds up, threw open the window and started yelling at a car in the parking lot to turn off Billy Currington. I had absolutely no Earthly idea what is going on or even heard the slightest of sounds, much less what song and singer. Apparently it was keeping him up.

Me and the hubs were catching some rays when a 40+ year old woman molested a 10 year old boy in the friendly apartment pool. The line- "Get off me you drunk fat B****!" is probably one of the funniest moments of my life.

Cory and I literally went into panic mode one night when we had strong hail and tornado warnings. Looking back, we totally overreacted... we've been watching too much TV. We each grabbed our most prized possession + Anney, said our condolences to Lilly and were out the door. We were certain the 3rd floor of the apt would blow away and we'd be goners. We high-tailed it across town to Mom's, stayed there for a total of 5 minutes, realized the storm was over, and returned home. Poor Lily.

We've had some seriously great times at the "old place" but we're excited to see what the next year has in store for us!

Oh and I can't forget... a sincere goodbye, love-ya-don't-mean-it to "Charlotte," the ridiculously enormous spider that taunted me every single day with her grossness and ginormous webs. Happy to say SEE YAAAAA. Def won't miss you- nothing personal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...